Table of Contents
Does your windshield have any cracks or chips? If so, then you might need a windshield replacement. But how do you know for sure? This article will start by covering the most common causes of windshield damage. We’ll then move on to the top five signs that indicate you need a replacement.
What is Windshield Damage?
Before we get into the signs you need a replacement, let’s briefly cover what windshield damage is. There are three main types of windshield damage:
1. Chips: A chip in your windshield is usually caused by flying debris, such as rocks or gravel. These chips typically don’t cause extensive damage, but they can if they’re not repaired quickly.
2. Cracks: Cracks are usually caused by more significant impacts, such as hitting a pothole or tree branch. They can vary in size and severity, and they’re more likely to cause extensive damage than chips.
3. Bullseyes: Bullseyes are similar to chips, but they’re usually larger and have a circular shape. They’re also typically caused by flying debris. This type of damage is more severe than chips and cracks, and it usually requires a windshield replacement.
Common Causes of Windshield Damage
Now that you know the three main types of windshield damage, let’s look at some of the most common causes:
1. Flying Debris: As we mentioned earlier, flying debris is one of the most common causes of windshield damage. This can include everything from rocks and gravel to tree branches and hail.
2. Poor Road Conditions: Potholes, speed bumps, and other uneven road conditions can cause your car to jolt, leading to cracked or chipped windshields. Most of this damage is caused by hitting potholes.
3. Extreme Weather Conditions: Extreme heat or cold can cause your windshield to crack or chip. This is because the glass expands and contracts in extreme temperatures, weakening it over time.
4. Poor Maintenance: If you don’t clean your windshield regularly, dirt and grime can build up and cause scratches. In addition, if you don’t apply windshield wipers regularly, they can become brittle and tear your windshield when used.
5. Car Accidents: Unfortunately, car accidents are one of the most common causes of windshield damage. Even a minor fender bender can result in a cracked or chipped windshield.
Signs You Need a Windshield Replacement
Now that you know the most common causes of windshield damage, let’s look at the top five signs that indicate you need a replacement:
1. Your Windshield is cracked or chipped: If your windshield is cracked or chipped, it’s important to have it repaired or replaced as soon as possible. This is because the damage can spread quickly, especially if you continue to drive your car.
2. You can see through the crack or chip: If you can see through the crack or chip in your windshield, then it’s definitely time for a replacement. This is because this type of damage can impair your vision and make it difficult to see while driving.
3. The crack or chip is bigger than a quarter: Most chips and cracks can be repaired if they’re smaller than a quarter. However, if the damage is bigger than this, then you’ll likely need a replacement.
4. The crack or chip is in your line of sight: If the crack or chip is in your line of sight, then it’s definitely time for a replacement. This is because this type of damage can impair your vision and make it difficult to see while driving.
5. You’ve had multiple chips or cracks: If you’ve had multiple chips or cracks in your windshield, then a replacement might be necessary. This is because repeated damage can weaken the glass and make it more likely to break.
If you’re still not sure whether you need a windshield replacement, we recommend contacting a professional. They can assess the damage and give you their expert opinion.
Always Hire a Professional for Repairs or Replacements
If you need a windshield replacement, we recommend hiring a professional. This is because windshield replacements are complicated and require special tools and training. In addition, if the replacement is not done correctly, it can further damage your car.
Windshield replacements are an important part of keeping your car safe. If you’re ever in doubt, we recommend contacting a professional for their expert opinion. There are numerous risks to DIY repairing your windshield, so why take the chance of further damaging your car or injuring yourself?
How to Find a Reputable Windshield Replacement Company
If you need a windshield replacement, the best way to find a reputable company is by asking for recommendations from friends or family. You can also check online review sites like Google or Yelp. In addition, you can contact your insurance company and ask for recommendations.
When choosing a company, be sure to ask about their experience, warranty, and price. In addition, be sure to get multiple quotes before making a decision.
By following these tips, you can be sure to find a reputable windshield replacement company that will do a great job!